With less than a week to go, we thought we’d share with all of you two things.
We recently had a conversation with Marketcircle‘s CEO Alykhan Jetha (AJ) about his thoughts on the January 27th Apple event. AJ has special insight into how Apple works as his company has developed award-winning apps for the Mac and iPhone.
AJ expects there to be an announcement about the tablet. At the very least, he is 100% sure there will be a “cool” announcement. Reason: “The stock will tank if there isn’t one (announcement ).”
What can we expect from a tablet? Like almost everything Apple does, it will be a new form factor. Apple may not create new products but what they are very good at is making existing technologies better. See iMac, iPhone and iPod. Tablets have been around for years so don’t expect an “iTablet” to be more of the same. AJ says we should expect touch technology, a new interface and for it to be a multi-purpose use device. He also believes that the tablet will incorporate some form of iPhone technology.
The second thing we want to share are a selection of posts and articles that we have found interesting and informative.
- Pantagraph.com reports that “the Apple tablet will also be a powerful e-reader, a potential game changer for newspaper and magazine publishers eager for new revenue amid falling print advertising.”
- Fudzilla.com suggests that the “iTablet” will be available exclusively from Verizon in the States.
- The Wall Street Journal is quoted as saying “With the new tablet device that is debuting next week,” the Journal declares, “Apple Inc. Chief Executive Steve Jobs is betting he can reshape businesses like textbooks, newspapers and television much the way his iPod revamped the music industry—and expand Apple’s influence and revenue as a content middleman.”
- Om Malik of GIGAOM shares his personal take on the tablet and the technology we should expect to see.
- 9to5Mac quotes Bill Keller, Executive Editor for the New York Times: “I’m hoping we can get the newsroom more actively involved in the challenge of delivering our best journalism in the form of Times Reader, iPhone apps, WAP, or the impending Apple slate…“
What is known is that if Apple has an anouncement, it is sure to be big. Apple announcements usually are. And if there is a tablet we should expect it to be a game changer. That’s the Apple way.