Recent research by MaRS Data Catalyst on Canadian accelerators revealed some cool statistics surrounding the budding ecosystem of startup-fostering programs. We share some of our favourites below:
1. More than 200 startups have graduated from or are currently in an accelerator program in Canada.
2. Over 420 entrepreneurs have graduated from or are currently in an accelerator program in Canada.
3. Of nearly 40 programs reviewed by MaRS, only seven meet its “formal definition” of an accelerator.
4. Accelerators list an average of 60 mentors (ranging from 16 to 130).
5. There are 800 mentors in Canada’s accelerator ecosystem.
6. 7% of these mentors are listed by multiple accelerators.
7. A Canadian accelerator may consider up to 400 applications and accept as little as three to five startups per cohort.
Over the past three years, dozens of accelerators and accelerator-like programs have emerged in Canada. However, there is debate about their value—do accelerators hurt startups, and can the accelerators themselves succeed? MaRS‘s research tackles this discussion and more in its report.