Today Vancouver’s Launch Academy announced today the six finalists of its 2014 Student Startup Challenge.
Launched at the beginning of May, the Student Startup Challenge encourages student entrepreneurs to pitch their startup ideas for a chance to receive three months of office space and mentorship at Launch Academy and compete for $5,000 in cash prizes at Launch Academy’s Pitch Day in August.
This year the SSC site received 17 startup videos that went on to accumulate over 2,700 votes. After reviewing the selection, judges selected the following six finalists:
- Fetch: A platform where ethical breeders can create pages, list their litters, and connect with people looking to find the right dog.
- SafeRing: Provides you with an emergency call button right at your fingertips.
- Loodo Analytics: Provides real time customer traffic insights for all retail spaces.
- Blue Perch: “Tinder for jobs”: sending jobs straight to your phone so you never have to search for a job again. Simply swipe and apply.
- Cloudy Robotics: A platform that will enable users to get data, see real-time video and control robots from their web browsers.
- Propel Swim School: A custom online registration, CRM, and online report card system that will change the aquatic industry forever.
Last year’s 2013 SSC finalists Cognilab and HelpHub both went on to achieve significant milestones, with HelpHub raising $250,000 from Sora Capital and Cognilab gaining acceptance into Vancouver’s GrowLab accelerator.
“We’re very proud of the success stories that came out of last year’s Student Startup Challenge, and we’re excited to see some great companies emerge from this year’s program once again,” says Launch Academy’s Executive Director Ray Walia. “Building a company isn’t easy, and we’re happy to support students and recent grads in their journeys to becoming amazing entrepreneurs.”