Apple’s fall showcase is right around the corner, happening at the Steve Jobs Theatre on Apple’s campus in California on September 12. As many tech fans know, an Apple Showcase means a few new things, from phone announcements to updated software.
Apple has detailed a several updates it wants users to know about the upcoming iOS 11 software, outlined in a release sent to Techvibes. This new software has no set release date as of yet, but iOS 10 launched a day after the last conference in 2016, so many are anticipating a September 13 public wide-release.
If you are an iPhone or iPad user, take note, as these 11 details may come in handy when you download the newest Apple mobile operating system.
- Customize Control Centre: Go to Settings → Control Center to customize your iPhone or iPad for your preferences. Remove, add or rearrange priority items like your calculator and alarm for easy access.
- Multi Tasking: Drag an app out of the dock and use Slide Over or Split View to accomplish two things at once — like scrolling through the News app, while also typing a note in Messages.
- Drag and Drop: With drag and drop on iPad, use the power of Multi-Touch to quickly and easily move text, images, and files between apps and select multiple items with just a few taps. Soon, you may notice many of your favorite apps add this capability too!
- Files app: With the all-new Files app there’s one central location to browse, search, and organize files that are stored on your iPad, in iCloud Drive, and even on other cloud services.
- Document Scanner: Scan single or multiple-page documents with the new document scanner, which automatically finds the edges of your page from any angle and centers your document for the perfect crop. Add annotations to your document using Markup with Apple Pencil on iPad Pro, making it super easy to sign and return forms without having to print them out.
- Instant Notes on iPad: Need to jot something down quickly? Simply tap Apple Pencil on iPad Pro and open Notes instantly from the Lock Screen. Use the search tool to easily navigate your handwritten text, when you need to find specific notes.
- Do Not Disturb while driving: Eliminate all distractions while driving by automatically blocking notifications with the Do Not Disturb while driving feature.
- Indoor Maps: Navigate your way through major malls and airports with ease using Apple Maps’ detailed indoor maps feature.
- Siri: With iOS 11, Siri has a new, more natural voice, can translate US English into Mandarin, French, German, Italian or Spanish, and offers more proactive suggestions based on personal usage.
- Redesigned App Store: The App Store is redesigned to make discovering apps and games easier than ever before. The Today tab offers in-depth features and interviews curated by the App Store’s global team of editors to share the stories behind the apps and games that change the way we live and the developers whose ideas push and shape the world as we know it.
- Do more with Photos: Effects like Bounce, Loop and Long Exposure offer more options for editing Live Photos and capturing all of those special moments. Memories is enhanced with more memory types, better curation, and new portrait-oriented Memory Movies. People is easier to use, more accurate, and syncs across your devices via iCloud Photo Library.
Features like Siri translations, indoor maps and instant notes are extensions of current Apple technology that many have been waiting for, while the document scanner and files app simply make using your phone for business or pleasure more fluid.
IOS 11 has been in public beta testing since late June. It has to bring some serious firepower to Apple’s mobile landscape, as their last few devices and updates have received accusations of being stale and devoid of innovation. Expect full details to come with Apple’s September 12 event and look out for the option to update your devices soon after.